Welcome

Hello and Welcome. My intent is to show how to prepare “elegant” dishes at home and enjoy a little up-scale dining, that doesn’t always require buying the “Top of the line”.

You won’t find any Casseroles, Squash, South West or Mexican here; I tend to stick with New England, European and Chinese food groups as I enjoy them most.

As I have High blood pressure and high Cholesterol, I do not use any salt nor consume any beef or beef products.

My recipes are designed for two adults with an accompanying dish (I hate the word "side" it relegates an otherwise wonderful experience to nothingness). Typically my recipes take 1-1/2 hours or less from start to table (not counting marinating). So with that, let’s get to it.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Buffalo/Bison The Better Alternative.



Lets look into the wonderful world of Buffalo/Bison. The meat from these animals is almost free of fat and healthy for you. Bison are not fed any Antibiotic and don’t spend much time on “feed lots”.
Speaking from experience over the last 8 years, we have eaten NO beef and have replaced it with Buffalo in all recipes that were made with beef. Now I’m not going to try convincing you that it was effortless! Buffalo is so lean it cooks about 20 to 25% faster.
At first blush, what little fat that is on the outer surface of steaks and roasts, at times does have a different taste, however the lean has a much fuller flavor, reminiscent of the beef of the 50’s and 60’s when it tasted like beef .

Grilling a steak or burger is a delight. The first time Please DON’T add anything – just grill the meat.

Buffalo burger: make a fairly thick patty with about 1/3 - ½ lb. of fresh ground. (I mean fresh ground in the store, not delivered to the store factory ground). The reason for that is the contamination present in our food supply comes from the factories where the meat is exposed to pathogens during the cleaning of the last little bit of “lean” from the bones and carcas, along with nicking organs at times.

Fire up the charcoal, get it up good and hot, rub the grill grids with olive oil and put on the burgers. Grill to the following temps. The times are approximate for a 1” thick burger, adjust accordingly.

Rare: 6-8 min 125° to 130° F
Medium-Rare: 8-9min 130° to 140° F
Medium: 10-12 min. 140° to 150° F
Medium-Well: 12-14 min 150° to 160° F
Well Done: Not Recommended

Buffalo Burger

Buffalo Steak: again all your favorite cuts are available ableit somewhat more expensive the Supermarket sale price…. But for a comparable cut of the same quality not a great deal different. Don’t forget Buffalo is closest to the Prime beef then any other grade. My suggestion is to have a steak less often and just have a better Buffalo steak when you do.

Here again Please ABSOLUTELY NO SIPCES or sauces the first time give it a chance. Do wash the steaks thoroughly and trim of most of the fat if present. Fire up the charcoal good ‘n hot, oil the grill grids with olive oil, let them heat for a couple of minutes for grill marks and put on the steaks. Grill to the temperatures as follows for a 1” thick cut.

Rare 120 to 125 deg. Center is bright red, pinkish toward the exterior portion. 6 min.
Medium Rare 130 to 135 deg. Center is very pink, slightly brown toward the exterior portion: 8 min.
Medium 140 to 145 deg. Center is light pink, outer portion is brown: 10 min
Medium Well 150 to 155 deg. not pink: 12 min.
Well Done 160 deg.+ Uniformly brown throughout- probably tough, not recommended.

I find the New York strip to be better then a “T”- bone or Porterhouse.
Buffalo Fillet
And of course an 8 oz. Buffalo Fillet is to die for.
Other ways to prepare Buffalo/Bison will be presented as time goes on.

3 comments:

  1. I sometimes order the buffalo burger at Fuddruckers, and it's wonderful. It's full of flavor while lower in fat, and I honestly can't tell the difference between it and a burger made from beef.

    The only downside for buffalo/bison meat, at least for me, is the price. It does cost quite a bit more than beef. These days I'm having to wait for a sale before I can buy beef, and sadly, bison is simply out of my budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had them there also and they are good. Sprouts has a Buffalo sale 3 times a year. That's when we stock up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having read this I thought it was extremely informative.

    I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this information together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and leaving comments.
    But so what, it was still worth it!
    Also visit my webpage : buffalo bison meat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...