Welcome

Hello and Welcome. My intent is to show how to prepare “elegant” dishes at home and enjoy a little up-scale dining, that doesn’t always require buying the “Top of the line”.

You won’t find any Casseroles, Squash, South West or Mexican here; I tend to stick with New England, European and Chinese food groups as I enjoy them most.

As I have High blood pressure and high Cholesterol, I do not use any salt nor consume any beef or beef products.

My recipes are designed for two adults with an accompanying dish (I hate the word "side" it relegates an otherwise wonderful experience to nothingness). Typically my recipes take 1-1/2 hours or less from start to table (not counting marinating). So with that, let’s get to it.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Steamers" Steamed Soft Shell Clams

Being a native New Englander, one of the things I miss most is Steamed soft shell clams or “Steamers”. Especially the beauties from the clam beds of Ipswich, Mass. The Steamed clams that can be gotten here on the dusty roads of Az. are sorely lacking, as most often they are hard shelled Cherry Stone clams, much tougher and certainly not as sweet.
New England fish markets have soft shelled clams most of the year, but so far I haven't found a way to get them here as they are fragile and don't keep well.
Steamers are more casual then Gourmet, but these bivalves are "out of this world". Serve them with lots of napkins and a good bottle of beer. My preference is Fullers ESB ale, stout enough to stand up to the clams.

INGREDIENTES:

2-3 pounds soft shell clams (for 2)
1 stick butter (Unsalted)

PREPARATION:

Proper cleaning of the clams includes rinsing them in a colander under running water followed by an hour or two in a bucket full of water, gently stirring occasionally (the shells break easily) then draining the water. Repeat this until little or no sand is left in the bottom of the pail. Any clams that are open and don't respond to a touch should be discarded as they are dead.

STEAMING:

Add an inch of water to a large pot and bring to a boil, add the clams, tightly cover and reduce heat. At the same time, melt the butter in a small pan. Allow the clams to steam them until they open, about 5 minutes or so. If all the clams are not open, continue steaming, checking every minute or so. Remove the clams to serving bowls with a slotted spoon. (You can remove them as they open).

The liquid (broth) should be gently poured in cups, leaving the sand in the pan, and served along side the clams. Divide the melted butter among small bowls and served along side the clams

EATING:

Remove the clam from its shell, you may have to dislodge the muscle to the shell. Then peel the black skin off the neck. Dip the clam using the neck as a handle into the broth and swish it around a bit to dislodge any remaining sand. Then dip it in the butter. Sipping the broth adds to the flavor.

Mix up a nice tossed salad and serve along side.

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite dishes of all time. Back when I was going to art school in San Francisco I discovered a restaurant in Tiberon, north of the city, called Sam's Anchor Cafe. I would get a table on the deck where I had a view of the city across the bay, and I would order a bucket of steamed clams. It was like being in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do bring back wonderful memories don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I give up!
    After receiving my umpteen request for "Steamers on the grill" I will post this.
    First off there is NO advantage to cooking steamers on any grill as they must be "steamed" in water or clam broth to cook properly. SO... all you are doing is using the heat from the grill to warm the water instead of a stove or an open pit fire.
    Just follow the above recipe and put the pan on your grill instead of the stove!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...