Welcome

Hello and Welcome. My intent is to show how to prepare “elegant” dishes at home and enjoy a little up-scale dining, that doesn’t always require buying the “Top of the line”.

You won’t find any Casseroles, Squash, South West or Mexican here; I tend to stick with New England, European and Chinese food groups as I enjoy them most.

As I have High blood pressure and high Cholesterol, I do not use any salt nor consume any beef or beef products.

My recipes are designed for two adults with an accompanying dish (I hate the word "side" it relegates an otherwise wonderful experience to nothingness). Typically my recipes take 1-1/2 hours or less from start to table (not counting marinating). So with that, let’s get to it.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Stuffed Shells with Marinara Sauce

This is another meatless meal that we truly enjoy. The trio of cheeses blend wonderfully to give this dish a full flavorful taste. Although I recommend the Marinara sauce recipe that follows, if you are pinched for time the Barilla tomato-basil can be substituted with satisfactory results.
 
INGREDIENTS:

1/2 pkg. Jumbo shells (18)
24 oz
marinara sauce *
1 egg, beaten
15 oz. container ricotta cheese
2 cups (8 oz.) mozzarella cheese Shredded
1/2 cup (3 oz.) Parmesan cheese Shredded
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated

 
PREPARATION:
 
In large bowl, beat egg, add 15 oz. ricotta and parsley. Lightly chop the 1-3/4 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan to break up any long strands then add to the ricotta mix. Stirring well for an even blend.

Bring 2 quarts of water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add salt to taste, if desired. Add 1/2 the contents of package to boiling water. Stir gently. Return water to a boil. Boil uncovered for 12 - 13 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain well.

Preheat the oven to 350 deg.

Fill each cooked pasta shell with about 1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp of the cheese mixture. Spray 13X9" baking dish with non-stick spray; then spread 1 cup marinara sauce in bottom. Arrange the shells in the dish and spoon rest of sauce over shells. Top with 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Cover lightly with foil.
 
COOKING:
 
Bake, covered with foil, at 350deg. for 40 minutes until bubbly. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more, or until cheese is melted.

Recipe makes 4 servings

* Home made marinara sauce or 26oz. jar Barilla Basilico Tomato & Basil Sauce.

Note: the shells can be divided into two 6X9" baking dishes and baked together. One to serve and one for a later meal.

3 comments:

  1. Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find
    It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something again and
    aid others like you aided me.

    Also visit my webpage; Biomass briquettes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an really long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm
    not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say superb blog!



    My blog Cooking Simple Vegetables

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...